Skip to main content

Suspected hoodlums attack Igbo traders in Sokoto


Some unidentified youths, suspected to be hoodlums, on Saturday, carried out attacks targeted on Igbo traders, in Sokoto, the Sokoto State capital.

Our Correspondent reports that the attacks occurred around Old Market Road, Bello Way and Emir Yahaya areas of Sokoto metropolis, at about noon.

The frightened incident however forced other Igbo traders to closed down their shops and ran for safety against the backdrop of heightened security situation in other parts of the country.

An eyewitness who sighted the irate youths in their hundreds along Bello way said were armed with cutlasses, stones and sticks before l before razing down a building belong to some Igbo traders.

A victim who simply identified his name as Chief Gabriel Okafor told our Correspondent on phone that his house was reported razed down by some suspected arsonists.

“Right now, I just received a call from my wife that some youths have invaded my house and set it ablaze. My family narrowly escaped the attacks.” Chief Okafor alarmed.

Another victim, Mr William Emmanuel Usoh told Journalists that his Honda Civic car was touched by some unidentified youths along Emir Yahaya road.

Usoh explained that the timely arrival of men of the Nigeria Civil Defence and Security Corps (NCSDC), however stopped the youths in their attempt to further vandalize shops within the vicinity.

When contacted the President General, Igbo Community in Sokoto State, Chief Charles Uwaga, confirmed the incident.

He said reports reaching him indicated that some of his members have been attacks within the state capital. “A member just called me that his house have been razed down. There are also cases of shops vandalization.

However, there was heavy presence of security personnel that including Army, Police, Civil Defence Corps, especially within the state capital.

In a related development, Sokoto state government has urged all residents to go about their normal activities without fear of molestation, saying all arrangements have been put in place to ensure security of lives and property.

A statement issued by Malam Imam Imam, the spokesman to Governor Aminu Waziri Tambuwal, said what is happening in other parts of the country, especially the South East, will have no negative effect on residents of Sokoto.


“Governor Tambuwal has urged for calm. He has met severally with security agencies, religious and traditional rulers. He is also in touch with members of the resident communities.

“In addition, the Governor is in touch with his counterparts in other states to see how they can synergise to ensure that peace is maintained.

“Residents are thereby urged to report any suspicious activities to constituted authorities,” the statement added.

The statement praised the people of Sokoto for being their brothers’ keepers, and urged them to engage in acts that enhance unity, brotherhood and understanding at all times.

“We’re happy to note that so far, business premises, markets, worship centres and public gatherings have continued unhindered. This administration is committed to sustaining our cherished status as the most peaceful State in Nigeria,” it added.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check NYSC Senate Approved List of All Institutions for the 2017 Batch ‘B’

National Youth Service Corps, NYSC senate list is out. The portal for verifying the senate approved mobilization list (2017 Batch ‘B’) of various institutions in Nigeria is live.
This is to inform all prospective corps members (2017 Batch ‘B’) that they can now check the senate approved mobilization list of their various institutions on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) portal for free.
See also: NYSC Batch ‘B’ Mobilization Exercise Timetable – 2017
HOW TO CHECK NYSC SENATE APPROVED LIST. 1. Go to NYSC senate list portal at https://portal.nysc.org.ng/nysc2/VerifySenateLists.aspx 2. Select your Institution. 3. Supply your Matriculation Number and Surname in the required columns. 4. Select your date of birth. Finally, click the ‘SEARCH’ button to access your mobilization status.

Scary News About Your Cellphone

File photo

The war rages on about the safety of cell phones.  One side argues there’s either nothing to fear, while the other warns that your phone is causes grave harm when it comes into close contact with your body. Citing the views of other experts Dr Joseph Mercola tries to show where the real truth lies.

The year 2014 marked the first time in history that there were officially more mobile devices than people in the world – approximately 7.2 billion.

Although significantly lower, the number of cell phone users is forecast to reach 4.77 billion by the year 2017.

That’s a lot of cell phones and cell phone users. But what’s even more fascinating about all these mobile devices is the behaviour that surrounds them: The average cellphone owner checks their phone 110 times a day, or about nine times each hour; and 46 percent of smartphone owners say “they couldn’t live without” their phones

Cell Phone Safety

Most…

Nigerian Navy commences recruitment of graduates

The Nigerian Navy has commenced the process for the recruitment of suitably qualified Nigerian graduates through the Nigerian Navy Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) Course 25.
The guidelines for the enlistment can be accessed on the Nigerian Navy Enlistment Portal http://www.joinnigeriannavy.com/ which will be opened on October 11 for interested candidates to apply online.
Interested applicants, who must be Nigerians by birth, should possess a minimum of Second Class Upper Division for first degree holders and Upper Credit for HND holders. Male applicants must not be less than 1.68 metres tall while female applicants must not be less than 1.65 metres in height. Applicants should be between 22 and 28 years by 31 January 2018, except for Imams and Chaplains who should not exceed 30 years by January 31, 2017.