Skip to main content

Nigerian Government Sets Date for Trial of Over 1,600 Alleged Boko Haram Terrorists


                                                                           File photo

The Federal government has revealed that it is set to continue the trial of suspected terrorists in October, Premium Times reports.

Trial of various cases of alleged terrorism were suspended since the annual vacation of judges across the country began in July.

But on Sunday, the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, Shehu Malami, said the trials will now begin on October 9.

“All is now set to begin the arraignment of suspected Boko Haram suspects in various detention facilities in the country,” he said through a statement by his media aide, Salihu Isa.

“It is slated to kick-start tentatively on Monday, October 9, 2017.”

According to the statement, Mr. Malami has approved a list of prosecutors to handle the cases, while the Legal Aid Council has also released a list of defence counsel to stand in for the detainees/defendants.

“The proposed prosecutions of over One Thousand, Six Hundred (1600) detainees held in Kainji will commence by early October, 2017 after the opening of the new legal year.

“Currently, four (4) judges have been deputed by the Chief Judge of the Federal High Court to sit on the cases at Kainji and dispose of them expeditiously.

“It is expected that the special prosecutions will start with the detainees in Kainji followed closely by the disposal of the cases of the detainees in Giwa Barracks, Maiduguri until the cases are exhausted”.

The statement added that 13 terrorism cases had so far been concluded, from which nine convictions were secured.

The statement said there were 33 terrorism cases already taking place in courts across the country.

The statement said 33 cases are ongoing trials at various Federal High Court divisions, while 116 charges had been filed and are awaiting trial in Kainji.

It said 220 detainees had been recommended for release and deradicalisation for want of evidence.

“Detainees profiled at the Kainji detention facility awaiting judicial proceedings and deradicalisation programme are 1,670.

“Detainees remanded at the Federal High Court, Maiduguri and transferred from Giwa Barracks to Maiduguri Prisons are 651.”

The statement highlighted the challenges of the trial to include poorly investigated case files due to pressure during the peak of conflict at the theatre, over reliance on confession-based evidence, lack of forensic evidence, and absence of cooperation between investigators and prosecutors at pre-investigation stages.

Other challenges mentioned were “poor logistical facilities to transport defendants from detention facility to court fortrial, scarcity of skilled/trained forensic personnel to handle investigation of complex cases, inadequate security for counsel handling terrorism cases and converting military intelligence to admissible evidence.”

According to the statement, the Office of the National Security Adviser is expected to help by providing the deradicalisation programmes where necessary.

“This is the report of the on-the-spot assessment of the facilities and other incidentals preparatory to the commencement of trial of the over 1600 suspected Boko Haram terrorists detained in a military detention facility located in Wawa Barracks, Kainji, New Bussa, Niger State following successes recorded by the Nigeria Army and other security agencies in the fight against terrorism in Nigeria.

“A team comprising representatives of the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA), Federal High Court and the Office of the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation were dispatched to Kainji from the 12th to 14th of September, 2017 to carry out the assessment and to discuss with relevant authorities and organisation in final preparation of the all-important national assignment.”
According to the statement, the various suspects have been categorised into four different groups.

“Boko Haram suspects who were hitherto investigated by the Joint Investigation Team set up by the Defence Headquarters otherwise known as DHQ/JIT and case files transmitted to the Honourable Attorney-General of the Federation and after a careful review of the cases based on their individual merit, it was discovered that they have no prima facie cases that will sustain a charge against them in any court of law, hence were recommended for release and handed over to the Office of the National Security Adviser (ONSA) for rehabilitation and/or de-radicalisation.

“The second category is the set of suspects that the Honourable Attorney-General found prima facie cases against them and charges already filed at the Federal High Court, Abuja Division who are also mostly in the detention facility under reference and may be willing to plead guilty for a lesser sentences.

“The other category are the suspects whose case files are either recommended for further investigation or that have no investigation conducted on them at all hence they do not have case files that will warrant the Honourable Attorney General of the Federation to form any opinion in respect of their case.

“Lastly, the fourth category is the suspects whose cases were reviewed and a prima facie werefound and may be willing to opt for a full trial.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check NYSC Senate Approved List of All Institutions for the 2017 Batch ‘B’

National Youth Service Corps, NYSC senate list is out. The portal for verifying the senate approved mobilization list (2017 Batch ‘B’) of various institutions in Nigeria is live.
This is to inform all prospective corps members (2017 Batch ‘B’) that they can now check the senate approved mobilization list of their various institutions on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) portal for free.
See also: NYSC Batch ‘B’ Mobilization Exercise Timetable – 2017
HOW TO CHECK NYSC SENATE APPROVED LIST. 1. Go to NYSC senate list portal at https://portal.nysc.org.ng/nysc2/VerifySenateLists.aspx 2. Select your Institution. 3. Supply your Matriculation Number and Surname in the required columns. 4. Select your date of birth. Finally, click the ‘SEARCH’ button to access your mobilization status.

Scary News About Your Cellphone

File photo

The war rages on about the safety of cell phones.  One side argues there’s either nothing to fear, while the other warns that your phone is causes grave harm when it comes into close contact with your body. Citing the views of other experts Dr Joseph Mercola tries to show where the real truth lies.

The year 2014 marked the first time in history that there were officially more mobile devices than people in the world – approximately 7.2 billion.

Although significantly lower, the number of cell phone users is forecast to reach 4.77 billion by the year 2017.

That’s a lot of cell phones and cell phone users. But what’s even more fascinating about all these mobile devices is the behaviour that surrounds them: The average cellphone owner checks their phone 110 times a day, or about nine times each hour; and 46 percent of smartphone owners say “they couldn’t live without” their phones

Cell Phone Safety

Most…

Nigerian Navy commences recruitment of graduates

The Nigerian Navy has commenced the process for the recruitment of suitably qualified Nigerian graduates through the Nigerian Navy Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) Course 25.
The guidelines for the enlistment can be accessed on the Nigerian Navy Enlistment Portal http://www.joinnigeriannavy.com/ which will be opened on October 11 for interested candidates to apply online.
Interested applicants, who must be Nigerians by birth, should possess a minimum of Second Class Upper Division for first degree holders and Upper Credit for HND holders. Male applicants must not be less than 1.68 metres tall while female applicants must not be less than 1.65 metres in height. Applicants should be between 22 and 28 years by 31 January 2018, except for Imams and Chaplains who should not exceed 30 years by January 31, 2017.