Skip to main content

Imminent Sack: INEC to Serve Dino Melaye Notice of Recall Today as Senate Resumes Plenary

As members of the 8th Senate resumes plenary at the National Assembly today, Tuesday, 26th September, INEC will serve Senator Dino Melaye, the documents containing the notice of his recall process. 

File photo
 
The Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC) will today, at the National Assembly, serve the Senator representing Kogi west senatorial district, Dino Melaye, the documents containing the notice of his recall process.
 
A Federal High Court sitting in Abuja, recently dismissed the suit Melaye filed, challenging the validity of a process by his constituents to recall him, and ordered the commission to proceed with the recall process.
 
The judgment brought an end to an exparte order made by another judge of the Federal High Court in Abuja, Justice John Tsoho, which directed parties to maintain status quo.
 
While speaking to Daily Sun on the plan to serve him, Rotimi Oyekanmi, the Chief Press Secretary of the INEC chairman, Prof Mahmoud Yakubu, recounted the ordeal the commission had gone through in trying to issue Melaye the notice.

“We went to court and the judgement was that we should serve Dino with the petition and the accompanying material. Since that time, we have made a number of attempts to serve him with those documents, but those attempts have not yielded any fruit.

“The last was last year when we went to his residence and those living in that house chased our team away with weapons, to the extent that they had to retreat. Tomorrow (today), precisely by 10:00am, INEC intend to serve him the document in his office at the National Assembly,” he said.
 
Melaye, yesterday, gave a deadly blow to his recall process by the INEC on account of petitions received for that purpose from some registered voters from his senatorial district.
 
The Senator, who addressed newsmen on the lingering process, said based on provisions of section 69(b) of the 1999 constitution as amended, 90 days durations specified for such exercise has passed since the process started on  June 23, 2017.
 
“The petition is, thereafter, in a referendum, conducted by INEC within 90 days of the date of receipt of the petition, approved by a simple majority of the voters of the persons registered to vote in that member’s constituency,” he said.
 
Melaye said for INEC to still be forging ahead with a process that had outlived constitutionally stipulated duration“shows that the electoral body is out to violate the laws of the land in the bid of carrying out the wish of some selfish politicians in Kogi State.”
 
He specifically alleged that the State Governor, Yahaya Bello and Senator Smart Adeyemi were behind the recall process based on petition signed by only three persons in flagrant violation of constitutional provisions for that purpose.
 
He added that the whole process would hit the brick wall in the face of the law as he had appealed a judgement he claimed, was fraudulently obtained by INEC and its sponsors.

“I celebrate the obituary of the ‘Made-in-Taiwan’ recall exercise, while sympathising with the induced petitioners who will obviously face forgery and other criminal charges before a court of law very soon,” Melaye said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check NYSC Senate Approved List of All Institutions for the 2017 Batch ‘B’

National Youth Service Corps, NYSC senate list is out. The portal for verifying the senate approved mobilization list (2017 Batch ‘B’) of various institutions in Nigeria is live.
This is to inform all prospective corps members (2017 Batch ‘B’) that they can now check the senate approved mobilization list of their various institutions on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) portal for free.
See also: NYSC Batch ‘B’ Mobilization Exercise Timetable – 2017
HOW TO CHECK NYSC SENATE APPROVED LIST. 1. Go to NYSC senate list portal at https://portal.nysc.org.ng/nysc2/VerifySenateLists.aspx 2. Select your Institution. 3. Supply your Matriculation Number and Surname in the required columns. 4. Select your date of birth. Finally, click the ‘SEARCH’ button to access your mobilization status.

Scary News About Your Cellphone

File photo

The war rages on about the safety of cell phones.  One side argues there’s either nothing to fear, while the other warns that your phone is causes grave harm when it comes into close contact with your body. Citing the views of other experts Dr Joseph Mercola tries to show where the real truth lies.

The year 2014 marked the first time in history that there were officially more mobile devices than people in the world – approximately 7.2 billion.

Although significantly lower, the number of cell phone users is forecast to reach 4.77 billion by the year 2017.

That’s a lot of cell phones and cell phone users. But what’s even more fascinating about all these mobile devices is the behaviour that surrounds them: The average cellphone owner checks their phone 110 times a day, or about nine times each hour; and 46 percent of smartphone owners say “they couldn’t live without” their phones

Cell Phone Safety

Most…

Nigerian Soldier Fighting Boko Haram, Shares Pictures Of The Grave where he sleeps

A Nigerian soldier “Charles Sea” who is currently on the warfront fighting Boko Haram shared a photo on social media of the grave where he sleeps daily.

According to him, from that grave the wakes up every morning to carry out his daily duties.

Read what he wrote below…

Happy sunday friends and my dear people of God. Thank God i made it today again in the land of the living , from this grave, I wake every morning to carry out my daily duty.

This is real courageous to defend we civilians…

See more photos below: