Skip to main content

Fire that killed nine Kenyan schoolgirls started deliberately – Minister


A weekend fire at a Kenyan high school dormitory that killed nine teenaged girls was started deliberately, Kenya’s education minister said Monday.

Fred Matiangi said arson was to blame while announcing the death toll had risen to nine.

“Most of the investigations are done and I can tell you unequivocally — I have been briefed by the police — that it was not an accident,” Matiangi told a press conference in Nairobi on Monday morning.

“Police have assured us that there are very useful leads in the direction of specific suspects and we will know in due course who these suspects are,” said Matiangi, who is also acting interior minister.

Initial reports on Saturday, after the fire broke out at a dormitory in Nairobi’s government-run Moi Girls High School at around 2am, said that seven female students had been killed and 10 more injured in the blaze.

But Matiangi said the toll had risen to nine after two more students had succumbed to their injuries.

“We feel saddened that we have lost our children,” Matiangi said.

The school, which has more than 1,000 students, has been shut for the next two weeks and distraught pupils have been sent home to their families.

Last year over 100 schools countrywide were set alight by arsonists in three months.

Then, around 150 students and 10 teachers were charged over the fires, with a variety of motives named, including revenge from a “cartel” linked to the country’s former exam-setting body, which used to profit handsomely from selling papers and answers before being dismantled.

Other alleged motives were student anger over changes to the school calendar as well as Matiangi’s tough education reform agenda.

On Monday, the minister cast suspicion on local quarrels and tribal rivalries.

“We have a school environment where there are arguments about local communities and the head teachers and they foolishly take it on to the point of destroying school property and getting into criminal activities to make a point,” Matiangi said.

He added that some parents are angered that the top job of head teacher goes to those who “don’t come from the area or from the same clan”.

“We cannot resolve a conflict in a school, or a conflict on the headship of a school, by burning the school,” he said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Check NYSC Senate Approved List of All Institutions for the 2017 Batch ‘B’

National Youth Service Corps, NYSC senate list is out. The portal for verifying the senate approved mobilization list (2017 Batch ‘B’) of various institutions in Nigeria is live.
This is to inform all prospective corps members (2017 Batch ‘B’) that they can now check the senate approved mobilization list of their various institutions on the National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) portal for free.
See also: NYSC Batch ‘B’ Mobilization Exercise Timetable – 2017
HOW TO CHECK NYSC SENATE APPROVED LIST. 1. Go to NYSC senate list portal at https://portal.nysc.org.ng/nysc2/VerifySenateLists.aspx 2. Select your Institution. 3. Supply your Matriculation Number and Surname in the required columns. 4. Select your date of birth. Finally, click the ‘SEARCH’ button to access your mobilization status.

Scary News About Your Cellphone

File photo

The war rages on about the safety of cell phones.  One side argues there’s either nothing to fear, while the other warns that your phone is causes grave harm when it comes into close contact with your body. Citing the views of other experts Dr Joseph Mercola tries to show where the real truth lies.

The year 2014 marked the first time in history that there were officially more mobile devices than people in the world – approximately 7.2 billion.

Although significantly lower, the number of cell phone users is forecast to reach 4.77 billion by the year 2017.

That’s a lot of cell phones and cell phone users. But what’s even more fascinating about all these mobile devices is the behaviour that surrounds them: The average cellphone owner checks their phone 110 times a day, or about nine times each hour; and 46 percent of smartphone owners say “they couldn’t live without” their phones

Cell Phone Safety

Most…

Nigerian Navy commences recruitment of graduates

The Nigerian Navy has commenced the process for the recruitment of suitably qualified Nigerian graduates through the Nigerian Navy Direct Short Service Commission (DSSC) Course 25.
The guidelines for the enlistment can be accessed on the Nigerian Navy Enlistment Portal http://www.joinnigeriannavy.com/ which will be opened on October 11 for interested candidates to apply online.
Interested applicants, who must be Nigerians by birth, should possess a minimum of Second Class Upper Division for first degree holders and Upper Credit for HND holders. Male applicants must not be less than 1.68 metres tall while female applicants must not be less than 1.65 metres in height. Applicants should be between 22 and 28 years by 31 January 2018, except for Imams and Chaplains who should not exceed 30 years by January 31, 2017.